The fungus grows in damp, dark, and poorly ventilated spaces, making kitchens, bathrooms, basements, etc. more susceptible to its infestation. The ceilings are one of the most common areas where mould develops due to accumulation of moisture, dust, and dirt.
For tenants, mould development in the property is a problem if it occurred due to their negligence. In such circumstances, you are responsible for cleaning it and if you fail, the landlord reserves the right to deduct money from the rental bond.
When there is mould development in your rented property, taking the assistance of professional bond cleaners in Brisbane is necessary. Professional cleaners have the expertise, products, and tools to remove mould from ceilings without causing damage to the area.
The best solution to prevent mould spots on ceilings is to prevent dampness and regularly sanitise them. Here is a complete guide outlining things you will need for mould cleaning and how to remove mould from the ceilings.
Necessary Supplies for Mould Cleaning
To remove mould like professional bond cleaners in Brisbane, you need the following supplies. They are readily available in markets, and you may already have many of them in your house.
- An all-purpose cleaner or a mould cleaner (whichever you prefer)
- Sponges or firm-bristled brushes of different sizes to clean the flat areas and the corners
- Vacuum Cleaner with HEPA filters
- Microfiber cloths
- White Vinegar
How to Remove Mould from Ceilings
Before you start cleaning the mould spots on the ceilings, it would be best to assess the situation. Inspect the areas affected by the fungus to determine the scale of the infestation. If the mould growth is significant, then you need to get it checked by professionals for mould remediation.
Significant mould development is difficult to remove and requires the use of advance cleaning tools and supplies which only trained personnel know how to use and get optimum results.
After property assessment, if you conclude that the mould can be removed without professional assistance, then follow the below-mentioned tips.
- Vacuum the ceilings first to get rid of excessive dust, dirt, and debris. It will help remove cobwebs if any are present in the corners.
- Make a solution of water and soap in a spray bottle then saturate the entire affected area with the solution. If you are using a mould cleaner, then read the instruction on the label to know if the cleaner needs to be diluted with water before application.
- Let the cleaning solutions remain on the surface for at least 5-10 minutes before proceeding with physical scrubbing of the stains.
- To remove the mould using white vinegar, spray the solution undiluted on the affected area and let it work for an hour or more. Once the solution has had time to work, remove the mould by scrubbing.
- Make sure to clean the areas 50cms from the edge of the spots while scrubbing, as new mould could be growing here which is invisible to the naked eyes.
- To remove the residue use microfiber cloths like the professional bond cleaners in Brisbane. Microfiber cloths are highly-absorbent and good at collecting dust, dirt, and other types of pollutants.
- Repeat the cleaning process until the area is free of black mould spots. However, make sure you are not damaging the surface of the ceilings.
- After the spots are clean, spray the previously affected area with white vinegar and let it air dry. The vinegar will cure the surface and prevent future mould growth.
- What's more, instead of white vinegar, a store-bought mould repellent can be used for curing the ceilings and stopping mould from redeveloping.
A Word of Caution
You may use bleach or ammonia to clean the mould growth on affected ceilings, but these products should be used carefully. Make sure while using them, the room is well ventilated to diffuse the fumes. In addition to taking measures, take the following precautions.
- Wear personal protective equipment such as gloves, goggles, mask, and coveralls while cleaning mould
- Don't mix bleach and ammonia with other cleaning products as the chemical reactions can be dangerous
- Take the assistance of professional bond cleaners in Brisbane to clean mould if you have asthma, allergies, or any chronic respiratory disease.
Mould growth on your household ceilings is not only unsightly but also unhealthy. Therefore, you should get rid of mould as soon as you notice them. Clean the spots yourself using the tips mentioned above if the infestation is manageable.
However, if you are a tenant and the mould affects a significant part of any ceiling in your home, consider hiring professional bond cleaners in Brisbane.